There are many times when problems occurred while connecting any external hard drive in your Windows Computer. Sometimes, there occurs an error in the connection despite having connected properly on your computer. Often most of the people face this common problem on their Windows computers. So, you might be willing to solve this issue to fix external hard drive not showing up in Windows 7/8/8.1/10. In this post, I am providing some measures and solutions to this common problem.
You can fix external hard drive not showing up by following some measures. You can easily create new partitions on an unused drive by identifying with the drive letters. Later you can repair the used external hard drive similarly by saving all your data. Normally, external hard drive is used to store large files as it has the big storage capacity. It is also used for easy transferring of data to other devices via USB. You can overcome the access denied or connection not showing easily following some of the steps that I will be mentioning in this post.
- Also Read: top best free movie streaming sites
Most Common Possibilities Errors Occurred While Fixing External Hard Drive:
Most of the errors occurred due to the corruption in the partition due to which access to files is denied. There may be a different reason for the External Hard Drive not Accessible which are highlighted below. However, it may show up in the following commands:
- Power failure for powered hard drive
- Virus attack
- File system goes wrong, DBR, MFT, FAT
- The external hard drive physically damaged
How To Recover Lost Data Problems?
You have to be careful regarding one thing whenever you go for fixing the access denied problem of your external hard drive. There is a high possibility of losing the data on your hard drive in the process. So, using data recovery program before fixing this error in your computer is really necessary. You can also refer to the data recovery program. So, I will like to recommend “MiniTool Power Data Recovery” which is a good and data recovery tool. It was developed by famous software company of Canada.
Requirements for the data recovery of hard drive:
So, you can download the data recovery software on your Windows 7/8/10 easily and install successfully. Here are some of the steps for recovering your lost data that you can follow:
- First of all, you have to get “MiniTool Power Data Recovery” installed on your Windows computer.
- Now launch the software from your Windows computer by opening it.
- In the interface, you will find 5 modules of data recovery which are Undelete Recovery, Lost Partition Recovery, Damaged Partition Recovery, CD/DVD Recovery and Digital Media Recovery.
- So, you can now select the Damaged Partition Recovery option and scan your inaccessible external hard drive.
- You can click the ‘Settings’ button for specifying necessary files by selecting the file types.
- You can now save all the important files and save them in a secure place.
- Just preview the filename, dimensions, size and other information before you save the data.
- Now, store all your necessary files on different drive otherwise the lost data might get overwritten.
Step by step guide to fix the external hard drive not showing issue:
- Uninstall the drive or the USB device: First of all, open your device manager via typing on the search box of the Start menu. You can now find the USB drive where you have to right click for Uninstalling. So, in a single click Uninstall the USB drive successfully. Now, right-click the user name and choose the ‘hardware changes’ option.
- Change the drive letter: You can go for this procedure as well if the above-mentioned steps are not working. So, you can just change the drive letter and then try accessing again on the drive.
- Take ownership: You can also try taking ownership of it by going to the Windows Explorer where you will need to go through some steps. Here below are some of the steps:
- You can right-click the hard drive which is inaccessible and choose the Properties.
- Now, you can go to the Security option on the top left corner of the screen and click Advanced.
- Finally, click on the Edit button of the Owner tab where you can modify the ownership of your desired accounts.
- Format the hard drive: If none of the steps helps you then format your hard drive. However, before formatting, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to save all your important data from the hard drive.
- Try to turn Chkdsk: You can ultimately try running this chkdsk /r command on your Windows computer. You can boot into safe mode and get into HDD which can be applicable for Windows 7. So, this way you can access the drive as chkdsk command had already deleted the files that cause problems.
The hard drive is the external data storing tool where you keep all the official files or media players. So, if some problem occurs, while accessing to the hard drive via USB cable on your Windows computer, then you must fix it immediately. In this post, I have mentioned enough steps to fix external hard drive not showing up in Windows 7/8/8.1/10. I hope that you will be able to easily solve these issues on your own now without taking anybody’s help.